US Student Visa Basic Facts

  • As an international student or foreign national, you will generally need a visa to enter the USA.
  • Most commonly issued student visa is F1 visa. However there are several other visa categories as detailed below.
  • International students visas are issued and regulated by USCIS, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.

F1 Visa

F1 visa is issued to international students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program at a US college or university.


J1 Student Visa

The J-1 visa in the United States is for people who wish to take part in work-and-study-based exchange and visitor programs in the U.S.


M1 Student Visa

The "M" visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course.